Left, left, left right left

If there's one drawback to having two hip surgeries so close together, it's that sometimes I get confused which hip is which.

I literally have to say "left" and "right" in my head before I rise from a sitting position so as to put my weight on the correct foot. Going up and down stairs is especially confusing. Not only do I have to tell myself "good goes up; bad goes down" but then I have to remember which side is the good/bad side. Switching positions in bed also is tricky, particularly when lying on my stomach, which makes things feel backwards.

Already, I've made two large mistakes. A few days ago I went up a stair on the wrong foot, and yesterday I put nearly all my weight on the wrong side. Pain and fear hit me at the same time, reminding me to be more conscious of the moves I make.

For more than 10 years I've had a "good" and a "bad" side. I look forward to the day when left and right are the same ... which luckily will also mean "good." :)

Comments

Eczema Mom said…
I can see how that would be SO confusing! With one bad side I still always had to remind myself of which goes down. If it makes you feel any better, when I was in the hospital I accidently put too much weight on my operated leg. My OS said not to worry about it, what they're concerned about is car accidents and other large impact stuff.

Hang in there, you're doing good!
Anonymous said…
Cass
I always wondered about that. I figured that I would practice on crutches for a few weeks before the surgery to try and avoid stepping wrong. But after spending 2 months favoring one side I would imagine that it would always be easy to step wrong.
Hang in there.
Lauren
Marina said…
I cannot even imagine! I can hardly keep track of my legs as it is...

Also, I cannot believe you are allowed to drive so soon after a RPAO! I have to wait 6 months!

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams

4 years post-op LPAO

11 years post op