3 weeks post-op

I am getting stronger each day. The physical changes have come so quickly that I never had to set goals to reach them; they just came on their own. I'm so happy for that. At three weeks post-op, I can:
  • Get through the day with no pain meds, even Tylenol. I still take the 5 mg of oxycodone at night to help me sleep. I probably will switch to Tylenol P.M. once I get the doctor's ok. My pain is either non-existent or manageable, depending on the day. More on that later.
  • Lie comfortably (ok, maybe not comfortably) on both my stomach and my side, and switch from stomach to side to back ON MY OWN. This is helping tremendously in the sleeping situation, even though the side and stomach positions feel tingly and tight.
  • Get in and out of bed easily. (Ok, maybe not easily. It takes about a minute to accomplish this.) I still hold the strap around my foot in my right hand and put my left hand under my knee to move my leg enough to get it into bed.
  • Ride in the pickup without feeling uncomfortable. Also, going over bumps does not cause pain anymore.
  • Bend over to reach objects as low as my knee when I'm standing or mid-calf when I'm sitting.
  • Get in and out of the tub by lifting my knee over it. I also can stand in the shower now, though I mostly sit because I don't want to risk falling.
  • Stand on my good leg for a good 10 minutes before I need to sit or start crutching around.
  • Touch my incision. The super glue is finally starting to dry up and fall off, but it will probably be another couple of weeks before it's all gone. Side note: My incision has stirred lots of emotion within me. I did not really look at it until Day 6 in the hospital. Even though I'd been through six days of pain and hospitalization, the surgery did not seem real until I took a good look at the 7-inch gash. I've always taken good care of my body and never had the desire to have a tattoo. Seeing the incision/scar for the first time brought tears to my eyes; it's a visible, permanent reminder of my "disability." I still struggle with this today, but I'm also becoming proud of the scar as it also is a visible, permanent reminder of the many challenges I've overcome.
The biggest change this past week, however, has not been physical. My brain feels as if it's ready to work again, and I've been struggling with missing my home, my friends and my "old life." I'm also ready to start working again, and even though I won't be going into the office, working from home will be a good way to start feeling like myself again.

Comments

Manda K said…
I think I've told you this before ... but Vitamin E oil will be your friend to help diminish your scar. Rub it gently into the scar and the skin around the scar once you can and do that a few times a day. It helps to keep scar tissue from forming and will make your scar less visible.

You don't want to lose your scar completely -- it is a reminder of how strong you are both mentally and physically. But wearing a bikini without looking like Frankenstein is also important :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams

4 years post-op LPAO

11 years post op