Below is my list of questions to ask Dr. Mayo pre-op.
About post-op care
About pre-op care and my dysplasia
- How many degrees is my dysplasia?
- How’s the other hip? When will I need surgery on it?
- What are my chances for a successful surgery?
- Should I be following any special diet or medication restrictions?
About the surgery
- How long is the surgery?
- Will you be doing the entire surgery or do other surgeons help?
- Chances of finding FAI or tears in labrum? Then what?
- Worst-case scenario while in surgery? Any chance of THR or no PAO?
- Will I be intubated?
- Do you do a bone graft?
- Where will scar be?
- What kind of stitching?
- When will the catheter go in?
- What are the screws made of?
- Will I lose much blood during surgery? Should I donate my own blood prior to surgery? If so, will I get that blood back?
- What can I expect during my hospital stay? How long will I be in the hospital?
- How will my pain be managed in the hospital and at home?
- Will I get an epidural? When will it go in?
- What items do I need at home to help with recovery?
- When can I drive?
- When can I shower or get in the water?
- When can I sleep on my op side? Stomach?
- When can I have sex?
- How long do I need to be off birth control pills?
- How long will I be on crutches? Do you provide crutches or should I purchase my own?
- How long do I have to wear the TED stockings?
- Where will nerve damage be and when can I expect feeling to come back?
- Do you plan to remove the screws at a later time?
- Will I have a visiting nurse or PT back at home?
- Will I get protocol to take to my PT?
- Special diet or alcohol restrictions post-op?
- What kind of follow-up care can I expect? When will my next appointment be?
- May I have a copy of the surgical report, x-rays?
- Chances of nonunion, sciatic problems, nerve damage?
- Chances of bone ossification? What will this feel like, how will it affect my healing, etc.