Questions for surgeon pre-op

Below is my list of questions to ask Dr. Mayo pre-op.

About pre-op care and my dysplasia
  • How many degrees is my dysplasia?
  • How’s the other hip? When will I need surgery on it?
  • What are my chances for a successful surgery?
  • Should I be following any special diet or medication restrictions?

About the surgery

  • How long is the surgery?
  • Will you be doing the entire surgery or do other surgeons help?
  • Chances of finding FAI or tears in labrum? Then what?
  • Worst-case scenario while in surgery? Any chance of THR or no PAO?
  • Will I be intubated?
  • Do you do a bone graft?
  • Where will scar be?
  • What kind of stitching?
  • When will the catheter go in?
  • What are the screws made of?
  • Will I lose much blood during surgery? Should I donate my own blood prior to surgery? If so, will I get that blood back?
About post-op care
  • What can I expect during my hospital stay? How long will I be in the hospital?
  • How will my pain be managed in the hospital and at home? 
  • Will I get an epidural? When will it go in? 
  • What items do I need at home to help with recovery? 
  • When can I drive?
  • When can I shower or get in the water?
  • When can I sleep on my op side? Stomach?
  • When can I have sex?
  • How long do I need to be off birth control pills?
  • How long will I be on crutches? Do you provide crutches or should I purchase my own?
  • How long do I have to wear the TED stockings?
  • Where will nerve damage be and when can I expect feeling to come back?
  • Do you plan to remove the screws at a later time?
  • Will I have a visiting nurse or PT back at home?
  • Will I get protocol to take to my PT?
  • Special diet or alcohol restrictions post-op?
  • What kind of follow-up care can I expect? When will my next appointment be?
  • May I have a copy of the surgical report, x-rays?
  • Chances of nonunion, sciatic problems, nerve damage?
  • Chances of bone ossification? What will this feel like, how will it affect my healing, etc.

Comments

MNav said…
Wow! You're thorough. You brought up a number of good questions. I copied/pasted them into Word, added my own, and printed it out. I'm going to keep it in my ever-growing hip file to take to the hospital.

Thanks for doing this! Michelle
Anonymous said…
I used this as a template before my first PAO last year. Now I send it to people getting ready for their first PAOs. Thank you.

My right PAO is 10 months post and feels great. I'm getting ready for the left on 8/24/11. I can't wait to be active again. You're super inspiring. Thanks for that, too.
Cassie said…
Swerve, I'm glad this list was helpful. I'm also happy to hear your first PAO went well. The second one is easier! Best of luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams

4 years post-op LPAO

11 years post op