The day before the day before The Day

Something happened today that I never imagined would happen.

An elderly woman ("she was 90 if she was a day," Mom said) and I were trying on the same brand of shoes.

The brand was Strictly Comfort, and true to their name, these shoes had little else to offer but a smooshy sole. The nice, elderly woman was telling the sales lady that she wanted a slip-on, but something that would keep her feet dry when she went outside in the winter months.

Sigh ... That's exactly what I wanted. Luckily, the store had enough pairs so we both could make a purchase, but I was willing to fight her for them. I think I could have taken her. Today at least. Monday she would have kicked my butt!

So I got the shoes. (They're not too ugly.) And I picked up the other last-minute things I needed and got packed, checking my own "In my hospital bag" list to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything.

We land in Tacoma at 3 p.m. tomorrow and don't have to be at the hospital until 10:30 Monday morning. Then, I'll meet with Dr. Mayo and the anesthesiologist for my pre-op and go into surgery at 2 p.m.

Feeling calm. Not nervous so much as just dreading certain parts of the recovery, but I'm ready. My cold is slightly better today, so I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow will be even better.

Thanks again, all of you, for the kind words.

Comments

Manda K said…
Take pride in knowing that they will look cuter on you than your elderly style sister!

We are all praying for you at Club 1300. I'll keep them updated and we are working on another care package for you.

Big hugs, lots of love and give your Mom a hug, too. If we come that way for Christmas, I will call!
MY PAO STORY said…
Keep us posted!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams

4 years post-op LPAO

11 years post op