Skip to main content

A-list ... or two

For a while, I was able to NOT think about my surgery. That was for a few weeks back in November/December. Now, I tend to think about it.

A lot.

I'm hoping that if I put some lists together, I'll be able to focus on something else. Like my job, which is incredibly busy right now and would benefit greatly if I would stop thinking about my hips for a second!

Having the surgery away from my home and away from the place I will be recovering makes for an extra long list, I found. Below is the main list of things I need to take care of in the next three months, in no particular order.

To do list
  • Forward mail
  • Arrange plant-waterers and apartment check on-ers and make keys
  • Haircut, pedicure, teeth cleaning
  • Change Blockbuster online address
  • Give blood (two units)
  • Meet with HR
  • Find backup doctors in MT and CO
  • Arrange PT in CO
  • Order Millennial crutches
  • Arrange wheelchair/walker
  • Arrange handicapped placards
  • Get meds in MT
  • Make hotel reservations for me/family
  • Make car rental reservations
  • Plane tickets with Alaska Airlines/Horizon (the only airline with a nonstop flight from Billings to Seattle)
  • Buy special clothes, socks, shoes, stuff for hospital
  • Start taking Vitamin C (1500mg) and iron (350mg) daily
  • Fill out pre-op paperwork
  • Clean and prepare apartment for return
I also have lists of:
  • Questions for Dr. Mayo
  • Items needed for the hospital
  • Items needed for recovery

I think my mind will be able to rest a little once a few things get checked off these lists. Patience is not my strong point, and this whole process has been a tough lesson thus far! (Not sure if I'd get a passing grade!)

Comments

mikenisky said…
Since I didn't see any comments...just thought I'd add one. I had a PAO on 28 Dec 2007, so I'm just about 4 weeks into recovery. I feel great, off pain meds over 2 weeks ago and am easily mobile on crutches. Dr Michael Millis from Boston did the surgery. If I can help out, shoot me an email.
Cass said…
Thank you! I'm glad your recovery is going well, and I hope it continues to do so!
mikenisky said…
So...how are you doing? Should be pretty bored by now from laying around. I hope all is well. At close to 51/2 months I'm painfree. Yea, that's painfree...it's so different and so nice. Hope you are progressing toward the same.
Cass said…
I'm doing super, thank you! I actually haven't lain in bed (except to sleep) since Week 3 post-op. So I'm not bored at all! I'm in very little pain, only every once in a while do I get an ache or shooting pain. Very happy so far! I'm glad you're pain free now. How cool!

Popular posts from this blog

Questions for surgeon pre-op

Below is my list of questions to ask Dr. Mayo pre-op.

About pre-op care and my dysplasia How many degrees is my dysplasia?How’s the other hip? When will I need surgery on it?What are my chances for a successful surgery?Should I be following any special diet or medication restrictions?
About the surgery
How long is the surgery?Will you be doing the entire surgery or do other surgeons help?Chances of finding FAI or tears in labrum? Then what?Worst-case scenario while in surgery? Any chance of THR or no PAO?Will I be intubated?Do you do a bone graft?Where will scar be?What kind of stitching?When will the catheter go in?What are the screws made of?Will I lose much blood during surgery? Should I donate my own blood prior to surgery? If so, will I get that blood back? About post-op care
What can I expect during my hospital stay? How long will I be in the hospital?How will my pain be managed in the hospital and at home? Will I get an epidural? When will it go in? What items do I need at home to he…

4 months post-op/scar pic

If there's one blanket statement I could make about having a periacetabular osteotomy, I would say this:

It's a long recovery.

When friends, family, co-workers and strangers have comments or questions about the surgery, it's usually something like: "That sounds awful!" or "Was it really painful?" or "Scary."

Truth is, while it was awful, painful and scary at times, this whole time, it simply has been long. At four months post-op, I still feel remnants of surgery in my hip. I still can't lie on my op side for longer than an hour or two without discomfort, and I still have to help my leg in and out of the car on occasion. My hip is still tender to the touch, and of course, that tailbone ...

Don't get me wrong. I have SO much to celebrate, and I can't imagine myself happier with my left hip. I have recovered smoothly and quickly. I'm not asking for anything more. That being said, I have made the following progress in the past two …

3 years post-op LPAO

A surgery can change your body. Two surgeries can change everything.

Today, on the third anniversary of my LPAO, I inevitably think back to my first operation and the years leading up to that day.

Everything has changed.

I am an outdoors enthusiast and exercise nut. I can stay on my feet all day. My new body has freed my soul, and my heart responds in kind.

The breakdown is exactly the same as it was at two years post-op: zero pain with a couple of exceptions, great range of motion, same tingly patch and itching. The one difference is that my tailbone pain has waned considerably, which gives me much, much relief.

I'm a different person today than I was on April 23, 2008, and I'll be forever thankful.