Buhlud Part II

My second, and last, blood donation went well today. I only lost one percentage point in my iron count as compared the three that they thought I might lose because of having my donations so close together.

The weird thing is that I'm still anemic. If I weren't taking 99 mg of elemental iron daily (suggested intake for women is 18 mg) and adding lots of spinach and red meat into my diet, and avoiding foods/drinks like dark colas and red wine that inhibit iron absorption, who knows how low my number would be. It's something I'll look into after my surgery if it's still an issue.

I was lucky that my insurance said it would pay for my donations because it's really expensive. My costs, per unit: $221.10 donation fee, $50 shipping fee, $62.50 processing fee = $333.60 per unit. Whew! And not that I want to be weak after surgery, but I kinda hope they find a reason to give me my blood back so my time and dollars aren't a waste!

I'm feeling better than I was yesterday. I've been a basket case lately, just because I've had lots on my plate for awhile now. It doesn't take much for me to reach my breaking point! But I truly am trying to be as stress free as possible ... I plan to enjoy my last weeks of freedom!

Comments

MY PAO STORY said…
Try not to think too much about the surgery (although I know it is hard!) LIVE IT UP NOW!!!!
Beth :)
JenXer said…
You're doing the right thing- the smart thing. I needed two units of blood after my surgery, and since they weren't mine, the doctor was very hesitant to give them to me.

It will be better to have 'em and not need 'em than the other way around.

Your attitude is right on-track; you're going to do great! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams

4 years post-op LPAO

11 years post op