10 years

My first hip surgery was 3,652 days ago, which, coincidentally, is probably the number of doubts I had before going under the knife. My decision to have PAOs – and the decade that's followed – have been worth every question and every fear.

My hips have been troopers, standing loyally by as I test them at the gym, on the trail, around the city and everywhere in between. If I push too hard, my left hip will let me know, but generally, I have very little pain. I haven't seen a hip doctor in years.

I still have a numb patch about the size of a business card on each thigh. A few times a year, I will get that burning, itching nerve pain that irritates me to no end. When overworked, my left hip starts burning near my back, sciatic-style. The scars are still there, of course, but they rarely catch my eye.  All of this seems like a small price to pay for a ticket for admission into this life of mine. Plus, I have 13 screws inside my body that make me feel like a bad-ass. I'm glad they're still with me.

Ten years. It makes the time I spent preparing for and recovering from surgeries seem so small. While the worry and stress were entirely well-founded, they were just a tiny part of my transformation. In fact, I've made at least 3,652 new happy memories since being on the other side.

Hiking in Wyoming
It's all downhill from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams

4 years post-op LPAO

Out of surgery